Friday, April 10, 2015

The tale of two doctors

The Dr. from out of network emailed me today - it's been more than a month since I've contacted him, but I am still glad he finally found time. I relayed the whole sorry story again, with the updates - my follicle count is at 6, as it happens - and he told me that he's going to update my supplements protocol, and also to give me some fertility medications to help me get pregnant sooner. He gives out an impression of such optimism and hope, that it's hard not to get caught in it. My spirits have certainly lifted somewhat, though I know how dangerous is to allow myself to hope.
This encounter made me think of how weird the whole scenario is. I have two doctors looking at the same patient with the same panel of tests. One is projecting doom and gloom and is probably going to push me hard into IVF (with donor eggs, I think). The other is - well, not exactly all unicorns and rainbows - but hopeful and wanting to make it work more or less with a natural cycle. And despite his communication flaws, I am under the impression that he actually works with me, instead of trying to fit me into some preconceived plan.
Coincidentally, yesterday I was trying to figure out if we need to go to some other Dr., to get the third opinion, just, you know, for variety. But I don't know where to turn. Most clinics in our area are specializing in IVF. There are two huge research institutions around with infertility programs, but their internet reviews are bad enough for me to not want to go there (I already have a Dr. with horrible attitude and IVF-pushing, thank you very much - and she's at least partially covered by my insurance). So I need to do more research - and to finally finish "It starts with an egg" (so depressing, makes me want to switch to some other read).

No comments:

Post a Comment