Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Trigger shot dilemma

I am sick and tired of dealing with doctors. They basically run a conveyor belt system, where they hand you a protocol and expect you to get on with it. I cannot operate like that. I have questions, and I need answers, and I get frustrated not getting any. I cannot do things without getting an explanation, especially when my health is concerned.
Take this trigger shot situation. I emailed the Dr, twice, asking whatever brought this change of plan - were the follicles too small, or their amount too insufficient, and does he really think I need it? There was no reply, and we mulled it over on our own.
I was thinking about how, to get the shot, I need to get to the office and back in time to pick up the kid from the preschool. It's a half-day tomorrow, so it leaves a very small window to operate - the office is out of town. My husband would be out of town until Thursday and would not be able to drive me/pick up the kid. So logistically, it's a challenge. There are ways around it, but we need to plan these things in advance.
And then, of course, I've read about OHHS. I realize it's highly unlikely to get this particular complication with oral medication and two measly follicles. However, being a sole adult at home for a day and having even a slight possibility that things could go wrong... this is too scary.
So after some more Googling and seeing that many people don't do the trigger shot - and especially people who have no problems ovulating on their own, like me - we decided to skip it, at least for this cycle. I fully realize that we might not get to even discuss it the next cycle - if the cyst doesn't disappear, I wouldn't be doing any Letrozole.
I feel depressed by how things turned out. To get the answers, I have to ask the right questions at the right time, i.e. during appointment. But during appointment I usually don't know half of it - they arise later, after I receive the information, think it over, and do some Googling - and then nobody ever cares to answer them properly. I feel like I am playing catch up with the doctors, and failing again and again.
And yes, I received the Dr's answer around 9 pm. It was short: yes, he agrees with Dr who did an ultrasound, and he thinks the shot is a good idea. Nothing re: why. Nothing re: follicle size.
It's midnight now, and too late to change my mind anyway.
On a different note, somehow my parents got wind of us having been to a doctor's appointment. How? I have no idea, not me nor my husband told them. Anyway, my mom asked me what it was for, and I gave her the highly edited version of our visit to my RE. I've got sympathy and the requisite "be happy with what you have" spiel, and then I was fighting tears for the rest of the day. There was a reason I did not want to share my journey with her - it's too hard to look at it as it is, in all its hopeless glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment