Monday, March 16, 2015

Silence

We used to be friends. Then I moved far away, but we kept occasionally emailing and generally keeping in touch. She was the first one of my friends whom I told about my second miscarriage. And the first. All in the same email, in a bleak December 2013 - and it was also about the deaths of my grandparents the very same year. Sort of "end of the year" report. I've never heard back from her. Soon, through a social media, I learned she was expecting her third child. Okay, I thought. Pregnant and preoccupied and having no time for my dark pit, I get it, totally. I decided to let it go and not to show how much her lack of reaction bothered me. 
Recently, she reached out again, after one of my sad musings online. Just a general "hey, thinking of you" stuff. Life, apparently, failed to teach me anything, so I dutifully explained that hey, third and fourth miscarriages, and then a surgery, what a charmed life I live.
She replied. She never ever acknowledged my losses. Like I never even mentioned them. This silence, this total ignoring of my pain - it hurts so freaking much.
Two strikes, you are out.

No comments:

Post a Comment